Biology is an interesting subject. It is also an important subject for class 11 students who want to go into the field of medicine. In competitive exams, 40-50 per cent of questions are from class 11 biology. Students have to work hard to get good marks in the CBSE exam as well as to get a high rank in the entrance exam.
In class 11, the theory exam is for 70 marks and 30 marks are for the practical exam, conducted by the school. The book is divided into five units –
- Diversity in the Living World – This unit has four chapters. Students will get 7-mark questions from this unit in the exam.
- Structural Organisation in Plants and Animals – This unit has three chapters and carries 10 marks in the question paper.
- Cell: Structure and Functions – This unit includes three chapters and carries 17-mark questions.
- Plant Physiology – This unit has five chapters. Students will get questions of 18 marks from this unit.
- Human Physiology – This unit includes seven chapters. This unit carries questions worth 18 marks in the question paper.
The last three units are more important, as they carry more weightage of marks in the paper. Students should read every chapter carefully and make notes of every chapter for revision during the exams. They should listen to the teacher in the class and make brief notes.
Students should solve all the questions given in the class 11 biology chapters and at the back of every chapter. Also, practice diagrams because diagrams are very important in biology. Students can remember the text by making diagrams and flow charts in biology.
Biology is a vast subject and has a lot of definitions. Students can remember these definitions by writing them down in a notebook. This will help you prepare notes and remember important definitions.
Click here – Keep your chicken coop smelling clean and fresh
Important Topics for CBSE Class 11 Biology
- The first unit of Class 11 Biology is Diversity in the Living World. It includes four chapters that are based on the classification of animal and plant kingdoms. Students should learn the important features of the five kingdoms of classification. They should learn the characteristics of each phylum and how they are classified into different groups.
- The second unit of class 11 Biology is Structural Organisation in Plants and Animals. It includes three chapters that are based on the study about characteristics of flowering plants, different parts of flowering plants, and structural organization in animals. Students should learn the different modifications of the root, shoot, and leaf. They should also learn about the seed structure and classification of tissues into different types.
- The third unit is Cell: Structure and Function. This unit includes three chapters based on different types of cells, the structure of cells, their function, and different organelles found in the cell. Students should learn the functions of different organelles to get good marks. It is also important to remember the different parts of cell division. Students should know the details of each phase of cell division.
- The next unit is about Plant Physiology. This unit has five chapters. It carries more weightage of marks in exams. Therefore, students have to focus more on the chapters in this unit. This unit explains everything about plants and their physiology. In this unit, students should learn the differences between active and passive transport of materials, different types of solutions, the process of nitrogen fixation, glycolysis, photosynthesis, and different plant hormones.
- The last unit in class 11 Biology is Human Physiology. This unit includes seven chapters. It teaches everything about human physiology. Students should focus on the process of digestion and different enzymes that help in the process of digestion. Another important topic to study in this unit is the structure of the heart and the process of double circulation. The diagram of the nephron is very important. Students should also learn about the working mechanism of the nephron. This unit is also important because it includes the different parts of the brain and their function. Students should also learn about different hormones and their importance.
The Detailed Pattern of Class 11 Biology Paper
The class 11 biology paper is divided into five sections:
- Section A consists of very short answer questions. There are five questions in this section and each question carries one mark. Thus, section A is of 5 marks.
- Section B consists of short answer questions. There are five questions in this section and each question carries two marks. Thus, section B is of 10 marks.
- Section C consists of short answer questions. There are twelve questions in this part and each question carries three marks. Section C is of 36 marks. This section is the most important as it carries the highest marks.
- Section D consists of value-based questions. There is only one question in this section that carries four marks.
- Section E consists of long answer questions. There are three questions and each question carries five marks. Thus, this section carries 15 marks.
Tips to Prepare for Class 11 Biology
- Students should be able to solve questions of different types. Therefore, students should consult different books and they should solve sample papers as well as previous years papers. This will help students learn the different types of questions that can be asked in the exam.
- In Biology, it is very important to remember different terms. They should practice diagrams as they are very important and students can get full marks if they know how to make diagrams.
- Biology is a theory-based exam. Therefore, students should learn answers by writing. This will increase their speed of writing and will also help reduce the chances of spelling mistakes.
- Students should write neatly on the paper and they should try to solve the paper in order. They can also underline the important terms in the paper. Students should try to finish their paper 10-15 minutes before the scheduled time so that they can revise the paper.
Students can follow the above-mentioned tips to score high marks in class 11 Biology and competitive exams.
Click here – DIY Pay Roll: How to Do It Yourself